Sunday, June 03, 2007

Indigenous Language SPEAK

So when I first went to University of New Mexico, I was excited to think I was going to a university where the concerns of the indigenous community members of different languages, were very important to the linguistics department.

Though this is certainly the case for the group that Melissa Axelrod has worked hard to bring together, it also became clear that the relationship between language speakers and researchers in the region (and maybe lots of the USA) was not a positive one. Unfortunately the benefits to language revitalisation and documentation lie in these two groups forming positive trusting relationships.

To get some dialogue going about this, and about other issues that come up between language speakers and researchers, I started this blog with some UNM grad students, Indigenous Language SPEAK, Susan just wrote a great post, so go check it out! And if you would like to contribute please let me know!!!

As a result of this, some/much of my linguistic-y stuff I will post there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home